- To hear a specific GMO opinion with an open mind.
- To consider how many different opinions interact in a complex world.
- Cultured Ingredients
Hi everybody, welcome back to synthetic biology one. In this series, we present different opinions on the GMO debate. I know that you all have opinions on this, but try to leave them aside for now. Instead, focus on three questions that will help us to understand the many different sides of the debate and how they interact.
- Where does this opinion come from?
- What is the author’s relationship with GMOs?
- What specific regulations or policies do they want?
- How do they hope these regulations will achieve their broader goals.
Today’s opinion comes from Jason Kelly, a co-founder and CEO of Ginkgo Bioworks. Gingko is a metabolic engineering company based in Boston, USA. Full disclosure: Jason is also my friend. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to go easy on him or his opinions. I’ll be reading highlights from a opinion piece he wrote for the New York Times.