- To hear a specific GMO opinion with an open mind.
- To consider how many different opinions interact in a complex world.
Hi everybody, welcome back to synthetic biology one. In this series, we present different opinions on the GMO debate. I know that you all have opinions on this, but try to leave them aside for now. Instead, focus on three questions that will help us to understand the many different sides of the debate and how they interact.
- Where does this opinion come from?
- What is the author’s relationship with GMOs?
- What specific regulations or policies do they want?
- How do they hope these regulations will achieve their broader goals.
Today’s opinion comes from the board of directors of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. This is the world’s largest general scientific society, with over 100,000 members. From their website, the AAAS seeks to “advance science, engineering, and innovation throughout the world for the benefit of all people.”